Thursday, December 01, 2005

Enjoy Blogging in Chinese!

I just found out that BlogSpot.com can be accessed in mainland China now. The reason it was unavailable was more likely to be technical rather than political. A friend in China said it might have something to do with DNS server. Anyway, it's nice.

In a previous blog, I complained that Microsoft IE could not display Chinese Blogspot blogs reliably. It was fixed by changing the template language to Unicode (lang="UTF-8">). So, it’s not, at least not completely, Microsoft’s fault. Firefox was just being more robust.

I also downloaded PinYin Jia Jia (拼音加加), the best Chinese input software according to many users. It’s convenient, straightforward, smart, and free. It at least doubled my input speed.

8 comments:

HJ Mommy said...

请问可以告诉我哪里可以下载拼音加加吗?你的连接已经断了。

HJ Mommy said...

我已经下载了,我想应该是需要将我的OS改成英文平台太可以使用,因为安装以后看到的都是乱码而已。谢了。

Albatross said...

enjoy!

拼音加加 by default will set your homepage to theirs; but you can uncheck that option.

Beijing Loafer said...

Still can't access blogspot.com in Shanghai. In fact, I think the government as a rule blocks all foreign blog sites. Maybe the rule changed recently.

Albatross said...

it started working in both beijing and jinan. isn't shanghai supposed to be more liberal ;-)

NYE said...

Great news! I need to tell my sister and niece to try it again. They can't access it before. And I will try out this pin yin jia jia thing, maybe now finally I can post some Chinese....

Beijing Loafer said...

It's indeed strange that in Shanghai I find the access to foreign websites a lot slower. Shanghai and Northern China are managed by two different telecom monopolies, which may be why.

Albatross said...

it's still hard for me to believe that they tried to block ALL foreign blog sites ... is that even technically possible? even with help from Cisco?