Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Night Herons

There used to be 20+ night herons living around my apartment. They perched in the pine trees in the daytime and flew away for food at night. “Flew away” is just a logical guess; actually I never saw them fly.

Their full name is Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax). They are neat and quiet birds.

Someday this year they disappeared. At first, I thought they might migrate to the north and would come back in winter. But it’s already December now; they still haven’t showed up. I start to believe that they have left for good.

Are they also tired of paying Californian rent?

1 comment:

NYE said...

What a beautiful Post.

Where could they have gone? Maybe they are bored by the ever beautiful and blue sky of southern california...you know, variety helps sometime...I am saying this from the cold and snowy Ottawa.
;-)